Today I have tried to setup my New Year Gift – Huawei P10 Lite with my old friend – Garmin Vivoactive. Since it took me more than 4 hours in total, I would like to share the solution with you, as it seems that the issue is related to most Huawei phone – Garmin Watch pair.
I am not sure what exactly worked, but finally I have the ability to sync data, get notifications on the phone, and so on. I will just describe what I did to make it work.
1. Download and install most recent Garmin Express software (I suppose most of you are still using Windows for any purpose)
3. Stop Google Play Services. I don’t know what exactly affects pairing, but it works when services are not running. :) If stopping does not help, remove Google Play Services update, as it seems that only most recent versions interfere with pairing process. If you don’t know where to do this, go to Settings->Applications->Google Play Services->Stop.
4. Open Garmin Connect Mobile, skip initial setup and go to Garmin Devices. You should see the synced device there.
5. Tap the device name and try pairing it as usual (your watch will show the code and you will be able to input it).
6. Start Google Play Services and have fun with your watch. If you have removed updates, it’s time to get them back to most recent version.
I have tried various solutions: this one and also this – none of them helped. I won’t even tell you about numerous software re-installations and factory resets of the watch. Hope this will help someone to save some time struggling to make Garmin watches work with Huawei phones. I tried to post this on official Garmin forum, but it seems they have some database issues, so I hope Google will index my post and will advance it to its results. :)
If you have any other solutions or at least explanation, why my idea works, just let me know in comments. As I understood, this issue is not only related to Huawei phones; this method will also be useful for Samsung and other brands, when it comes to sync with Garmin connect.